Home About DOPL Licensing Programs Investigations  
DOPL Online Services

Statutes and Rules
  • DOPL Licensing Act, 58-1 (May 9, 2017)
  • General Rule of the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing, R156-1. (Apr 11, 2017)
  • Certified Public Accountant Licensing Act, 58-26a (May 9, 2017)
  • Certified Public Accountant Licensing Act Rule, R156-26a (Nov 7, 2017)

  • DISCLAIMER: The statute/rule above is an unofficial version provided for convenience only and may not be identical to the official versions on the Utah State Legislature and the Utah Division of Administrative Rules websites.
    Applications and Forms
    License Type(s)
    • Certified Public Accountant
    • CPA Firm

    Apply for a License Online
    ATTENTION: DOPL cannot process your application until we receive your Uniform CPA Exam scores from NASBA. DO NOT apply for your license until NASBA has officially notified you of your passing scores. Incomplete applications may be denied if all requirements are not met within 30 days from the date of the application.

    NOTE: If you are applying for reinstatement or re-applying for a license you once had, you must use the manual application below.
    Renew License Online

    DOPL Information

    Director: Mark Steinagel
    Bureau Manager: Robyn Barkdull 801-530-6628
    Board Secretary: Sharon Smalley 801-530-6163

    Board Information
    Name Appointed Expires
    Carey D. Woolsey Jul 1, 2014Jun 30, 2018
    K. Tim Larsen Jul 1, 2015Jun 30, 2019
    Michael T. Gregory Jul 1, 2014Jun 30, 2020
    Wade K. Watkins Jul 1, 2013Jun 30, 2021
    Robert C. Fuehr May 21, 2013Jun 30, 2021
    (Public Member)
    Meeting Minutes
    IN PDF FORMAT PDF Document

    View Board Agenda and Minutes approved after May 14, 2013

    Related Websites

    Related Information
    Certified Public Accountant FAQ's
    How many hours of CPE do I need?
    For the reporting/renewal period which ends December 31, 2018, the minimum CPE hour requirement set forth under Subsection R156-26a-303b(2)(a) shall be 120 hours. This includes all CPE hours completed and reported between December 31, 2015 and December 31, 2018. Subsequent license cycles ending Dec 31 of even numbered years will require 80 CPE hours. A licensee who reinstates their license during a renewal cycle will be required to complete the minimum number of hours required for subsequent renewal - 120 for the December 31, 2018 renewal period and 80 hours for subsequent license cycles ending December 31 of even numbered years. There is no CPE requirement for a licensee at the first renewal following initial licensure.
    What are the experience requirements for an individual applying for new licensure as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA)?
    An applicant applying for new licensure as a CPA is required to have 2,000 hours (one year) of accounting experience, obtained under the supervision of a licensed CPA.
    I am going to be out of the country for two years.  What are my options to maintain my license as a CPA?
    A person may apply for and be given a waiver from or an extension of time to complete any requirement on the basis that the licensee was unable to complete the requirement due to a medical or related condition, humanitarian or ecclesiastical services, extended presence in a geographical area where continuing education is not available, etc.  A request must be submitted no later than the deadline for completing any of the continuing education requirements.  A licensee submitting a request has the burden of proof and must document the reason for the request to the satisfaction of the Division.  A request shall include the beginning and ending dates during which the licensee was unable to complete the continuing education requirement and a detailed explanation of the reason why.

    The explanation shall also include the extent and duration of the impediment, extent to which the licensee continued to be engaged in practice of his profession, the nature of the medical condition, the location and nature of the humanitarian service, the geographical area where continuing education is not available, etc.

    While a licensee may receive a waiver from meeting the minimum continuing education requirements, the licensee shall not be exempted from the requirements of Subsection 58-1-501(2)(i), which requires that the licensee provide services within the competency, abilities and education of the licensee.  If a licensee cannot competently provide services, the waiver of meeting the continuing education requirements may be conditioned upon the licensee restricting practice to areas in which the licensee has the required competency, abilities, and education.

    I am currently a licensed CPA in the State of Utah.  I am employed in the industry but not by a public accounting firm.  I am planning on taking on a small compilation engagement on the side; do I need to be registered as an "accounting firm" to do that?
    It is unlawful, pursuant to Subsection 58-26a-501(3) of the Utah Code Annotated for a person to indicate that they have expert knowledge in accounting unless they are licensed as a CPA and all of their offices are registered as firms.
    I am a non-US citizen with a Certified Public Accountant license earned in my own country.  I would like to become a Certified Public Accountant in the United States and would like to apply for licensure in the state of Utah.  What do I need to do to become licensed in the state of Utah?
    Foreign trained applicants must have their education and experience evaluated by a foreign evaluator service acceptable to the Division.  Upon completion of the evaluation, the applicant submits the findings to the Division to determine if any additional requirements are needed to become licensed.  To obtain information about foreign evaluation services, contact NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy): www.nasba.org ; 150 Fourth Ave. North, Suite 700; Nashville, TN 37219; (615) 880-4200.
    Can you please let me know what I need to do to obtain a Certified Public Accountant license in Utah?
    Basically to apply for licensure as a CPA licensed in another state the applicant must provide evidence of the following:
    1. an official document showing you passed the Uniform CPA Examination.  (a "Request for Verification of Examination and License" form showing you have taken the Uniform CPA Examination in another jurisdiction of the United States will meet this requirement.)
    2. a document showing a passing score of 90% on the AICPA Professional Ethics for CPAs Exam.
    3. an official letter from DOPL's testing provider documenting your passing the Utah Law and Rules Exam.
    4. a verification of licensure from the state in which you are currently licensed as a CPA using a "Request for Verification of License" form. (Request that the verifying state complete the form and mail or fax it directly to DOPL or return it to you for submission with your application.)
    5. documentation of professional experience showing that you have been actively engaged in the lawful practice as a CPA in another state, for not less than 8,000 hours during the 10 years immediately preceding your application for licensure in Utah.


    Utah Department of Commerce | Contact Us | Public Meetings | Site Map
    doplweb@utah.gov • 160 East 300 South • Salt Lake City, Utah 84111 • Phone: (801) 530-6628 • Toll-Free in Utah: (866) 275-3675 • Fax: (801) 530-6511