Home About DOPL Licensing Programs Investigations  
DOPL Online Services

Statutes and Rules
  • DOPL Licensing Act, 58-1 ()
  • General Rule for DOPL, R156-1 (Aug 21, 2014)
  • Barber, Cosmetologist / Barber, Esthetician, Electrologist and Nail Technician Licensing Act, 58-11a ()
  • Barber, Cosmetologist / Barber Esthetician, Electrologist and Nail Technician Licensing Act Rule, R156-11a (Dec 22, 2014)

  • DISCLAIMER: The statute/rule above is an unofficial version provided for convenience only and may not be identical to the official versions on the Utah State Legislature and the Utah Division of Administrative Rules websites.
    Applications and Forms
    License Type(s)
    • Barber
    • Barber Instructor
    • Barber School
    • Cosmetologist / Barber
    • Cosmetologist / Barber Instructor
    • Cosmetology / Barber School
    • Electrologist
    • Electrologist Instructor
    • Electrology School
    • Esthetician
    • Esthetician Instructor
    • Esthetics School
    • Master Esthetician
    • Nail Technologist
    • Nail Technology Instructor
    • Nail Technology School


    DOPL Information

    Director: Mark Steinagel
    Bureau Manager: Maria Skedros
    Board Secretary: Sally Canavan (801) 530-6633

    Board Information
    Name Appointed Expires
    Chad W. Price Jul 1, 2011Jun 30, 2015
    (Cosmetology/Barber Intructor or School Rep)
    Adriane Baxter May 2, 2013Jun 30, 2015
    Elaine H. Reintjes Jul 1, 2012Jun 30, 2016
    (Public Member)
    Marla "Marti" Frasier Jul 1, 2014Jun 30, 2016
    Carlotta Veasy Jul 1, 2009Jun 30, 2017
    (Esthetician Instructor or Esthetics School Rep)
    Christine Heathman Jul 1, 2014Jun 30, 2017
    (Master Esthetician)
    Jamie Comstock May 2, 2013Jun 30, 2017
    (Nail Technician Instructor or School Rep)
    Annette Bergstrom Oct 13, 2009Jun 30, 2017
    (Nail Technician)
    Jackie Lynn McKay Jul 1, 2014Jun 30, 2018
    (Public Member)
    Meeting Minutes
    IN PDF FORMAT PDF Document

    View Agenda and Minutes approved after May 14, 2013

    Related Websites

    Related Information
    Cosmetology/Barbering FAQ's
    How can I change my name on my license - I just got married/divorced?
    If your legal name has changed, you must verify the change by submitting a copy of a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order, driver's license, or social security card to the Division.

    If you desire a reprint of your license reflecting the name change, you must also submit a $10 reprint fee with the request.

    By Mail: DOPL P.O. Box 146741 Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741
    In Person: 160 East 300 South Main Lobby, south side, Salt Lake City, Utah.  Note: You must pay the $10 reprint fee by cash, check or credit card (MasterCard, Visa or American Express) and must show a photo ID.

    I am already licensed in another state.  How can I apply for a license in Utah?
    Contact your current state licensing agency and request a verification of license be sent directly to the Division.  Download and complete the application and submit it for review and processing with the required fees.  Applicants must meet the educational or the experience requirement and the examination requirements. Applications cannot be completed without submital of verification.
    What Cosmetology, Barber, Esthetic, Nail Technician and Electrology examinations does the State of Utah accept?
    -National Interstate Council State Boards (NIC) examinations that have been passed with a score of 75% or greater, within one year prior to the date of the application.
    -Any substantially equivalent theory, practical or instructor examination approved by the licensing authoriy of any other state wih a passing score of 75% or greater.
    How can I change my address?
    The easiest way to change your address is to use our online License Update web page.
    Can I fax in my application or supporting documents?
    You must submit all documents by mail or in person (unless otherwise directed by the Division) and must be accompanied by payment.
    What if I have a Cosmetology license in another country?
    You must verify your hours of training through one of the approved credentialing companies listed in the application.  Only they can verify the hours of training. The supporting documentation must be sent directly to the credentialing company. The application and its fees should be sent to the Division.
    In what languages are the Cosmetology examinations offered?
    The Utah State Legislature has determined that Utah is an "English only state", as such the examinations are offered only in the English language.


    Utah Department of Commerce | Contact Us | Public Meetings | Site Map
    doplweb@utah.gov • 160 East 300 South • Salt Lake City, Utah 84111 • Phone: (801) 530-6628 • Toll-Free in Utah: (866) 275-3675 • Fax: (801) 530-6511