Home About DOPL Licensing Programs Investigations  
Physical Therapy
DOPL Online Services

Statutes and Rules
  • DOPL Licensing Act, 58-1 (May 9, 2017)
  • General Rule of the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing, R156-1. (Apr 11, 2017)
  • Physical Therapist Practice Act, 58-24b (May 9, 2017)
  • Physical Therapist Practice Act Rule, R156-24b (Dec 11, 2017)
  • Retired Volunteer Health Care Practitioner Act, 58-81 ()
  • Utah Health Care Malpractice Act, Title 78B, Chapter 3, Part 4 ()
  • Retired Volunteer Health Care Practitioner Act Rule R156-81. (Jun 22, 2009)
  • Physical Therapy Licensure Compact (May 9, 2017)

  • DISCLAIMER: The statute/rule above is an unofficial version provided for convenience only and may not be identical to the official versions on the Utah State Legislature and the Utah Division of Administrative Rules websites.
    Applications and Forms
    License Type(s)
    • Physical Therapist


    Apply for a License Online

    Renew License Online

    DOPL Information

    Director: Mark Steinagel
    Bureau Manager: Jeff Busjahn
    Board Secretary: Thomas Togisala

    Board Information
    Name Appointed Expires
    Steven Gary Crandall Jul 1, 2014Jun 30, 2018
    (Physical Therapist)
    Kim Cohee Jul 1, 2011Jun 30, 2019
    (Physical Therapist)
    Anne Handy Jones Jul 1, 2012Jun 30, 2020
    (Public Member)
    Bob Hayden Jul 1, 2015Jun 30, 2021
    (Physical Therapist Assistant)
    Kim W. Reid May 2, 2013Jun 30, 2021
    (Physical Therapist)
    Meeting Minutes
    IN PDF FORMAT PDF Document

    View Agenda and Minutes approved after May 14, 2013

    Physical Therapy Compact Commission

    Related Websites

    Related Information
    Physical Therapy
    Must a CE course be pre-approved by DOPL in order for it to count toward the CE requirement?
    No.  DOPL does not pre-approve CE courses.  Licensees and CE providers are responsible to verify that courses meet the requirements specified in the Utah Physical Therapy Practice Act Rule. See R156-24b-303b.
    Must CE courses be sponsored or approved by the Utah Physical Therapy Association (UPTA) or the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) in order to count toward the CE requirement?
    No.  In addition to courses sponsored by UPTA and APTA, courses may be approved by, or under the sponsorship of any of the following:  accredited universities or colleges, or professional associations, societies, or organizations whose program objectives relate to the practice of physical therapy. See R156-24b-303b (5)(a).
    Are there specific subjects that must be covered in CE courses?
    At least 3 hours of CE must be in ethics or law.  Other courses may be in any subject that relates to the practice of physical therapy. See R156-24b-303b (2)(a)(b).
    I was issued a physical therapist license several months after the beginning of a two-year license renewal period.  Must I still complete all 40 hours of CE?
    No.  The required number of hours of continuing education for an individual who first becomes licensed during the two year period is decreased in a pro-rata amount equal to any part of that two-year period preceding the date on which that individual first became licensed. The same standard applies to PTAs. See R156-24b-303b (3).
    Is it possible to complete CE outside of formally established classrooms, seminars, conferences, or training sessions?
    Yes.  Up to 10 hours of the CE requirement may be recognized for clinical reading or in-service directly related to physical therapy practice.  Up to half the number of contact hours required may be completed in internet or distance related learning courses that include an examination and issuance of a certificate.  Half the number of contact hours of the CE requirement may be completed by teaching in a college or university and teaching CE courses in the field of physical therapy.  See R156-24b-303a (4).
    When do I submit records verifying completion of CE to DOPL?
    You only need to submit records that verify completion of CE to DOPL if you are audited by DOPL.  Otherwise, keep records that verify completion CE for at least 4 years after the close of the two year period to which the records pertain.  See R156-24b-303a (6).
    • DOPL General FAQ's
    • Important notice to all temporary physical therapist assistant. To continue to practice physical therapy after July 1, 2012, Utah law requires that you obtain a physical therapist assistant license before that date. click here


    Utah Department of Commerce | Contact Us | Public Meetings | Site Map
    doplweb@utah.gov • 160 East 300 South • Salt Lake City, Utah 84111 • Phone: (801) 530-6628 • Toll-Free in Utah: (866) 275-3675 • Fax: (801) 530-6511