Home About DOPL Licensing Programs Investigations  
HOME > Licensing

Utah Contractor Licensure by Endorsement - Cross Reference Information

Utah offers a licensure pathway known as licensure by endorsement. This is often confused with reciprocity.  Utah does NOT provide for contractor license reciprocity.  Utah's licensure by endoresement law is found at Utah Code Ann § 58-1-302.

All applicants for licensure by endorsement MUST be a resident, with a permanent home, in the State of Utah. Non-residents are NOT eligible for endorsement.   

A license by endorsement may be issued to a resident who has been licensed in another state or foreign country where EITHER:

(1) the education, experience, and examination requirements of the state, district, or territory of the United States or the foreign country, at the time the license was issued, were substantially equal to the current requirements of Utah. If the applicant demonstrates that their prior licensure is substantially equal to the current Utah requirements, certain contractor classification tests may be waived for the qualifier and experience from that state may satisfy Utah’s experience requirements. See Utah Code Ann § 58-1-302(2)(a).


(2) after being licensed outside of this state, you have at least one year of experience in the state, district, or territory of the United States where the license was issued, and the resident demonstrates that they have the education, experience, and skills necessary to demonstrate competency in the occupation or profession for which licensure is sought. See Utah Code Ann § 58-1-302(2)(b).

It is the responsibility of the applicant to demonstrate that the requirements to obtain their original contractor’s license are substantially equivalent to the requirements in Utah or that their education, experience, and skills demonstrate competency in the occupation.

Although this list is not exclusive, Utah has determined that certain license classifications and their exams with Arizona, California, Louisiana, Nevada and South Carolina are substantially equivalent to Utah’s classification requirements.  Please click here to review the chart in the application.

As Utah no longer requires experience or exams for specialty contractors, the licensure by endorsement only applies to the general contractor classifications which still require experience and exams – the B100 General Building Contractor, E100 General Engineering Contractor, and R100 Residential/Small Commercial Contractor. Specialty contractors are not eligible for licensure by endorsement.

For more inforamtion, please click here for the Application for Licensure by Endorsement.

Questions about Utah license classifications should be referred to the Division at (801) 530-6628 or (866) 275-3675 (toll-free in Utah).


Utah Department of Commerce | Contact Us | Public Meetings | Site Map
doplweb@utah.gov • P.O. Box 146741 • Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-6741 • Phone: (801) 530-6628 • Toll-Free in Utah: (866) 275-3675 • Fax: (801) 530-6511