Military Resources

Veterans Crisis LineAre you a veteran in crisis or concerned about one?
Contact the Veteran Crisis Line

Members of the armed forces and their families are often more affected than other groups by licensing restrictions because of frequent relocations to fulfill orders.  To ease this burden, the Utah Legislature has authorized certain fee waivers and license exemptions for qualifying military personnel and military spouses.

License Fee Waivers

Initial License and License Renewal

DOPL requires a processing fee for initial license applications and license renewal.  This fee varies by profession.  The Utah Legislature has authorized initial license and license renewal fee waivers for qualifying military service members.  Full-time active duty service members should submit the fee waiver request form with their initial and renewal license application.   Download the fee waiver request form here.

Inactive License

Qualifying licensees, who wish to maintain their license but who are not currently practicing in the profession, can apply for inactive status.  In some cases, changing a license to inactive status will remove certain CE requirements.  The Utah Legislature has authorized fee waivers for qualifying military service members who change their license to inactive status or who renew an inactive license.  Please note that not all professions have inactive status as an option. To check if your profession has inactive license status, refer to Utah Administrative Rule R156-1-305.   Full-time active duty service members can download the fee waiver request form for inactive status here.

Licensing for Military Spouses

Spouses of military service members stationed in Utah are permitted to work in licensed professions without obtaining a Utah license as long as they possess an active license from another state or territory of the United States.  Since this benefit for military spouses is relatively new, you may need to explain to employers or the public who ask that your out-of-state license is valid because you are a spouse of an active duty service member.  To help you, the Division has created a verification letter which you can show your employer or the public that explains this exemption.   Download the verification letter here.

Additional Resources

Are you struggling with PTSD, depression, suicidal thoughts, or addiction?
The College of Social and Behavioral Science at the University of Utah provides free treatment for veterans, including: therapy sessions, workshops, and a two-week residential treatment program for veterans with PTSD in Park City. Learn more here.

The Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs (UDVMA) provides resources for veterans including education, employment, healthcare, and more. Learn more here.