Substance Use Disorder Counseling

Apply for a Advanced Substance Use Disorder Counselor License (Out-of-State Applicants)

Military Resources: If you are a military member or military spouse, please review our Military Resources page before applying.

If you are licensed as the equivalent of a Licensed Advanced Substance Use Disorder Counselor in another state, there are two options for licensure:

1. If you have been licensed in a state, territory, or district of the United States for at least a year and hold a license in good standing, you may qualify for licensure by endorsement. Click here  to see if your jurisdiction is equivalent and for application instructions.

2. If your state is not deemed equivalent or your license does not qualify for other reasons, you may apply by submitting the following:

  • Verification of 500 hours of experience.
  • Score report showing a passing score on the written National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC) National Certification Exam Level II or MAC. (A passing score on the ICRC AADC exam may be submitted in lieu of verification of a passing score on the NAADAC exam).
  • Official transcripts documenting a bachelor's degree or higher.

Transcripts are considered "official" when they are sent directly from the school to DOPL or sealed in an envelope bearing the school's stamp/seal on the envelope flap.

Apply Online