Substance Use Disorder Counseling

Apply for a Substance Use Disorder Counselor License

Military Resources: If you are a military member or military spouse, please review our Military Resources page before applying.

If you are licensed as the equivalent of a Substance Use Disorder Counselor in another state, there are two options for licensure:

1. If you have been licensed in a state, territory, or district of the United States for at least a year and hold a license in good standing, you may qualify for licensure by endorsement. Click here  to see if your jurisdiction is equivalent and for application instructions.

2. If your state is not deemed equivalent or your license does not qualify for other reasons, you may apply by submitting the following:

  • Official transcripts documenting an associate’s degree or equivalent.
  • Official transcripts documenting completion of the pre-requisite courses in human growth and development across the lifespan and general psychology.
  • Official transcript or certificate from an accredited institution or higher education verifying completion of the substance abuse education program that includes completion of at least 200 hours of substance use disorder related education and a supervised practicum of at least 200 hours.

Transcripts are considered "official" when they are sent directly from the school to DOPL or sealed in an envelope bearing the school’s stamp/seal on the envelope flap.

Apply Online