Exam Information

In order to be licensed as a Licensed Professional Nurse (LPN) or a Registered Nurse (RN) in Utah, applicants must pass the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX) developed by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN). Applicants who have not already passed the NCLEX, must receive authorization to test from DOPL before they can take the NCLEX.

Applying for Authorization to Test

To assist you in successfully completing an Authorization to Test application, please review the information provided below before beginning the process.

  • I have graduated from an approved nursing program, can document graduation date and degree, and my transcripts have been released by the registrar's office.
  • I have requested one of the following:
    • Official transcripts documenting graduation from an ACEN-, CCNE-, or COA-accredited nursing program.
      NOTE: Transcripts are considered official when mailed directly to DOPL from the school or when delivered in a sealed envelope with the school's stamp/seal on the envelope flap. Transcripts may also be sent via secure email from the school's registrar office to
      — OR —
    • If a foreign graduate, an official copy of CGFNS Certificate and CES Professional Report, which indicate education to be equivalent to an approved program. Contact CGFNS for more information at
  • I have registered for the NCLEX with Pearson Vue and paid for the exam. Visit
  • I do not live in another compact state and I can provide proof of residency as defined by Utah Code 58-31c-102.

NOTE: DOPL cannot authorize out-of-state applicants to test if they are a resident of a state in the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC). Residents from compact states must receive authorization to test from their state of residence. For a current list of compact states visit .

Apply Online